By Tom McCarthy,David Mallon
Snow Leopards: Biodiversity of the area: Conservation from Genes to Landscapes is the one complete paintings at the biology, habit, and conservation prestige of the snow leopard, a species that has lengthy been one of many least studied, and therefore poorly understood, of the big cats.
Breakthroughs in applied sciences and methodologies to review this elusive cat have come quickly, together with non-invasive genetics, digicam traps, and GPS-satellite collaring. The ebook starts with chapters at the genetic status and taxonomy of the snow leopard, through chapters on their habit and ecology. extra contributions stick with at the present and rising threats to the species, which come with longstanding issues, equivalent to poaching and conflicts with farm animals, and new and rising threats resembling mining and weather switch.
A part on conservation ideas, subsidized via worthwhile case stories, starts off with an outline of the $64000 function mountain groups play in assuring the snow leopard’s long term patience. moreover, chapters at the position of captive snow leopards for the conservation of the species, cutting-edge strategies and applied sciences for learning and tracking snow leopards, prestige studies from round the quarter, and destiny views, reminiscent of transboundary conservation projects, overseas conventions (CITES, CMS, etc.), the position of the IUCN Cat expert team and the Snow Leopard community, and undertakings corresponding to the worldwide Snow Leopard discussion board facilitated by way of the area financial institution also are included.
- Serves because the first and simply finished booklet at the biology, habit, and conservation prestige of the snow leopard
- Brings jointly the most up-tp-date clinical wisdom, files the main urgent conservation concerns, and stocks good fortune tales in assuaging the vast threats that now jeopardize the long term survival of this species
- Brings present wisdom of the species, not just to researchers and conservationists, but additionally to selection makers, lecturers, and students
- Edited by way of well-known snow leopard specialists, with greater than 50 years of collective adventure in study and conservation of the species
Read Online or Download Snow Leopards: Biodiversity of the World: Conservation from Genes to Landscapes PDF
Best ecology books
In response to learn in Bolinao, this e-book assesses the significance of small-scale disturbance via burrowing shrimps. It covers the distribution of burrowing shrimp disturbance, the habit of the snapping shrimp Alpheus macellarius in situ and as saw from tank experiments, and the consequences of temporary burial and leaf clipping at the progress styles of the dominant seagrass Thalassia hemprichii.
Fibrin sealant is used for varied symptoms in gynecology, particularly for the McIndoe Operation and Cohn biopsy, the Marshall-Marchetti-Krantz-Hirsch-Stoll-Operation, urethrocysopexy, or in vitro fertilization for embryo move. using fibrin sealant in urology has additionally been prolonged, particularly in operations of the spermatic twine, reconstruction of the urethra and shutting of nephrotomies.
Tropical parts current ecological, cultural and political difficulties that call for research that's distinctive from basic ecological research. The tropical setting is specified in lots of methods, from the inability of a organic down season (winter), to often terrible soil stipulations, to a reliance on conventional tools of agriculture in an undeveloped society.
Freshwater organic tracking comprises the lawsuits of a really expert convention held in Cardiff, Wales, on September 12-14, 1984. members discover advances in freshwater organic tracking, paying specific realization to the translation of conventional neighborhood surveillance reports via the fashionable laptop and multivariate statistical strategies and the way such box neighborhood responses are with regards to laboratory reviews of pollution.
- Applied Ecology and Natural Resource Management
- Wetlands Explained: Wetland Science, Policy, and Politics in America: Wetland Science, Policy and Politics in America
- A Practitioner's Guide to Freshwater Biodiversity Conservation
- History of Landscape Ecology in the United States
- The Biology of Disturbed Habitats (Biology of Habitats Series)
- Sustainable Food Production Includes Human and Environmental Health: 3 (Issues in Agroecology – Present Status and Future Prospectus)
Additional info for Snow Leopards: Biodiversity of the World: Conservation from Genes to Landscapes
Snow Leopards: Biodiversity of the World: Conservation from Genes to Landscapes by Tom McCarthy,David Mallon