By John Morreall,Robert Mankoff
- Offers an enlightening and available foray into the intense company of humor
- Reveals how normal theories of humor fail to give an explanation for its actual nature and truly help conventional prejudices opposed to humor as being delinquent, irrational, and foolish
- Argues that humor’s advantages overlap considerably with these of philosophy
- Includes a foreword by way of Robert Mankoff, comic strip Editor of The New Yorker
Read or Download Comic Relief: A Comprehensive Philosophy of Humor (New Directions in Aesthetics) PDF
Similar aesthetics books
Dominic McIver Lopes articulates and defends a 'buck passing thought of art', particularly murals is not anything yet a piece in a single of the humanities. Having traced philosophical curiosity in theories of artwork to a response to sure puzzle circumstances of avant-garde paintings, he argues that not one of the theories that experience ruled philosophy because the Sixties thoroughly copes with those works.
China is at present by way of huge, immense environmental difficulties. This publication, drawing on historical and glossy chinese language environmental pondering, considers what it's that makes an atmosphere a fascinating position for dwelling. The e-book emphasises rules of good looks, and discusses how those principles could be utilized in average, agricultural and concrete environments in an effort to produce fascinating environments.
During this ebook, Robert Doran deals the 1st in-depth remedy of the foremost theories of the elegant, from the traditional Greek treatise at the chic (attributed to 'Longinus') and its reception in early smooth literary conception to the philosophical bills of Burke and Kant. Doran explains how and why the chic grew to become a key suggestion of contemporary idea and exhibits how many of the theories of sublimity are united by way of a typical constitution - the paradoxical adventure of being instantly beaten and exalted - and a standard quandary: the renovation of a proposal of transcendence within the face of the secularization of contemporary tradition.
Marcus Steinweg's skill to implicate the opposite is gorgeous, vivid, exact, and logical, grounded in daily questions, which to him are constantly substantial questions. -- from the foreword through Thomas HirschhornThe homes of philosophy don't need to be palaces. -- Marcus Steinweg, "House," the phobia of EvidenceThis is the 1st publication by means of the prolific German thinker Marcus Steinweg to be to be had in English translation.
- The Art of Freedom: On the Dialectics of Democratic Existence
- Art In Its Time: Theories and Practices of Modern Aesthetics
- The Idea of Spatial Form
- Between Word and Image: Heidegger, Klee, and Gadamer on Gesture and Genesis (Studies in Continental Thought)
Extra resources for Comic Relief: A Comprehensive Philosophy of Humor (New Directions in Aesthetics)
Comic Relief: A Comprehensive Philosophy of Humor (New Directions in Aesthetics) by John Morreall,Robert Mankoff